Mediation is a voluntary way of resolving disputes where a lawyer helps facilitate meaningful listening. Mediation may be an effective alternative dispute resolution mechanism for families experiencing low to high levels of conflicts, who are looking for a way to help each other understand what matters to each of them and why.
Intention for family mediation
Resolving concerns with kindness. Mediation is the neutral facilitation of family dispute negotiations. The negotiating parties enter the family mediation process voluntarily to help them listen to what matters to the person and why it matters. This process is designed to ensure a kind environment with no one person trying to over rule the other family members.
As the first option to consider for most family disputes and conflicts, this process is practical, and in most cases, it fosters a kinder environment whereby participants desire resolve the issues, by understanding why something matters to the other person. Mediation helps to avoid creating adversarial conversations and resentments.
Results from family mediation
- Ensure the safety of the participants
- Provide an equal opportunity for all participants to speak
- Reduce the emotional stress of the participants
- Reduce the financial costs
- Minimize conflict by creating a space for kindness and respect
- A fair and reasonable agreement is reached with compassion