Independent Legal Advice
Independent legal advice is when you obtain advice from a lawyer before signing certain agreements such as a Separation Agreement, Prenuptial Agreement, or Cohabitation Agreement. Your document may not be enforceable in Court without obtaining independent legal advice.
The importance of Independent Legal Advice?
The Court system aims to ensure that people enter into agreements after getting sufficient information so that they are aware of their complete rights and obligations. This protects one party from taking advantage of the other. In some instances, there may be an imbalance of power in a marriage or relationship which can result in one party signing an agreement under duress. Independent legal advice is an important resource that any person can utilize before signing an agreement.
Things to expect at Devgun Law when you come in for Independent Legal Advice?
- Independent legal advice may take between 1 - 2 hours
- Our team will review the agreement and inform you about your obligation under the agreement, point out any discrepancies, and provide you with any alternative options available to you
- In the event, you wish to sign an agreement after being advised about certain irregularities or concerning provisions - you may sign the agreement as you have received independent legal advice
- We offer a flat fee for Independent Legal Advice
- This service can be provided in-person, over the telephone, or Zoom