Independent Legal Advice
Independent Legal Advice provides you with advice about an agreement from a lawyer before you sign it. A Separation Agreement, Prenuptial Agreement, or Cohabitation Agreement, or other agreements may not be enforceable in Court if either of you did not obtain independent legal advice before signing the agreement.
The Court system intention with Independent Legal Advice is to ensure people to enter into agreements after getting sufficient information, so that they are aware of their complete rights and obligations for the agreement they are signing.
Protecting one party from taking advantage of the other
The intention for getting Independent Legal Advice is to help protect one party from taking advantage of the other. In some instances, there may be a concern for an imbalance of power in a marriage or relationship which can result in one party signing an agreement under duress. Independent legal advice is an important resource that any person can utilize before signing an agreement.
Clarifying concerns about an agreement
- We offer a flat fee for Independent Legal Advice
- This service can be provided in-person, over the telephone, or Zoom
- Independent legal advice may take between 1 - 2 hours
- Our team will review the agreement and inform you about your obligation under the agreement, point out any discrepancies, and provide you with any alternative options available to you
- In the event, you wish to sign an agreement after being advised about certain irregularities or concerning provisions - you may sign the agreement as you have received independent legal advice